Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Chicago Door Trip

Locked bathrooms at McDonalds. Empty dime bags on the ground surrounding our mission sites. Homes boarded up for gentrefication.

...And God's presence living among us.

In only two days, our group has seen a very different world in Garfield Park. Garfield Park is one of 77 Chicago neighborhoods with a 97% African American population.We're definitely the minority.

God calls us to be uncomfortable to grow, love and trust in His word. Here are a few wonderful memories from our trip thus far.

"Yesterday, we went to the conservatory and it was a very interesting experience. I didn't understand how so many different plants could exist in the same place, but they did it. We also walked through a labyrinth; which was surprisingly peaceful. Today while we were weeding, I loved listening to Deanna relate the gardening process to our lives. We had to weed out all the bad, even though we couldn't initially tell what plants were weeds. Also, if we would have taken out all the plants with thorns, we would have gotten rid of beautiful rose bushes. Further, just reading the first chapter of James has helped me get deeper about my faith and why I'm here." - Sarah Lumley

"I really enjoyed the devo/discussion with Ray, Grant and Kelsey. It helped us get into the bible and understand it better." - Jake Fulton

"Although the culture at By The Hand was different from our regular lives, you learn a lot about how much you can help with just a few extra hands. And during my time in the garden, I learned a lot about how I need to weed out the bad and plant the new good things in my life." - Rachel South

"Our inspirational speaker "Mama Brenda" captured my emotions and filled my heart with love and compassion. I pray that I am equally able to share the same with others. What Joy!" - Ray Bakich

"While at By the Hand - an organization that has an after-school program for kids, I encountered God through a little girl named Latania. From the first time she smiled at me, I felt God in her. She did a cartwheel and then I taught her some things she was so impressed and I was happy to help. I'll never forget Latania." - Halle Goodwin

"Making lunch for all the boys at La Casa Norte gave me such a full feeling. When we brought out the food and saw the look on their faces - it was priceless." - MacKensie Whalen

"Our team has worked amazingly together. Our unity and love for each other is glowing and brings us together as a family." - Kelsey Whalen

"Being with and listening to the life of the boys at La Casa Norte was a strong memory for me." - Grant Wachtel

"I have been So blessed the past few days in Chicago. My heart is overflowing with the love and goodness of God. I am so proud of our team and the spirit in which we have approached each day. I cannot wait to see what the next three days bring." - Derek Thompson

"Christian service feels very much like a dance with my Savior. It's a love song that renews, convicts and encourages everyone close enough to hear the music. We've come to "see God's face in the city." It's hard to believe we could miss His presence living and serving with the DOOR team." - Deanna Ferguson

Amen! - Dana Bakich

No comments:

Post a Comment